nightmares


With mad purpose I break tonight, remembering the phoenix that died trying to rebirth.

It is the same story, the one with a different character, but the same actor. Night has broken. Shambles of mental monologues have disintegrated into complicated dialogues with no point. This is the syncope I keep trying to pronounce — the loss of sound from within the words, where one eats up parts of the word in course of habit, and I eat up parts of my sentences, in course of poor habit.

An incomplete nightmare, always leaving the possibility of its completion as a prospect of horror. Desolation inviting loneliness. A melody that glitches in the middle, a song that sings to itself, recalling its words from the echoes, but never quite getting them right. This is most definitely a trance.

I am not awake.

Silence hears the universe call out for hope, the distance fading it all. The universe continues anyway. The coherence still broken. The words still haphazard, but not quite. "There must be a pattern," my human mind ponders yet again. The pattern vanishes. The maze closes in. The sky shrieks.

I am not dreaming.

It is unexplainable, the sudden urge for destruction. But there is nothing left to destroy.

Dreams stand ruined, bleeding into nightmares. But are nightmares just dreams in someone else's life? I cannot know.

My mind returns to its purpose. I am to break. Then, I am to take a deep breath and wake up to normalcy, drink up some caffeine, let happier sentences dictate my mood, and listen to good music.

Dawn breaks. Alarms ring. Eyes open. Almost silence. In the distance, echoes of the glitches. Repeating. This is the nightmare.

nightmares
Written by Yash Raj Talan

Popular posts from this blog

excellence is not a skill, it's an attitude

Did We Score A Goal?

2am